Saturday, October 11, 2014

My trip to Italy (part I)

A few months ago I was lucky enough to be invited to work in a beautiful art studio in Venice, Italy.
The printmaking/book making studio is part of the International School of Graphic Design located in the middle of Venice. How could I refuse such an opportunity? I packed some supplies (mostly my pre-made thermafax screens and my gelli plate) and flew to Milan where I stayed for a couple of days, and then took the train to Venice.
I arrived on a rainy day that gave the city a certain beautiful "gloomy veil". (Photos of the city and surrounding will be posted in part II of this post).
I immediately found the studio very inspiring, with lots of charming corners,art displayed, tools organized, tables set, and friendly people ready to help me get settled in. The rest of the week was sunny and allowed me to combine work with walking around the city and be inspired by the old paint- peeling buildings, the canals and bridges, and the endless art and beautiful architecture. Below are some photos of the studio and some beginnings of the work I created in my week there.


                                               A studio room with a view (and what a view it is!)




                                                  the patio with a picnic table for lunches



                                                              the calligraphy corner




                                         the school is sitting right next to one of the canals.


                                                                 love the red chair!






                                                      papers waiting to be collaged...


                                      sweet Sam Heydt with one of her beautiful photographs

                                 in the studio with Maria Maggiori, George LoGrasso and Licia He

lunch with other visiting/resident artists from around the world: Galen Gibson-Cornell, George LoGrasso, Roberta Feoli, Jan Davis, Sam Heydt

                                                       my "Venice" journal that folds into a book

                                                  collage pieces to match the chair...


                                              screen prints on top of gelli prints will become
                                               pages in my book about the Venitian Ghetto.




9 comments:

Seth said...

What a view! I am not sure if I could have taken my eyes off it the entire time in that studio. So happy that you have had this opportunity!

PamelaArtsinSF said...

That is really cool -- love the folded journal and the gelli/screen prints -- and the view out the window. I was in venice recently but didn't know about the art school -- would you be kind enough to share some info about it -- the website? Grazia Mille!

Michelle from Mixed Media Art said...

How absolutely delightful! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Ann Cumbie said...

What a fabulous opportunity! I love the gelli/screen prints. I'm going to try that. You are such an inspiration.

Kim said...

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Amazing opportunity... Looking forward to Part II
P.S. Seth sent me ......

Jane LaFazio said...

Oh, what a simply amazing, lucious oprtunity! Lucky lucky you!

Mary Jane said...

Thanks for sharing your amazing journey with us...looking forward to more!

donnaj said...

inspiring view! although i think i would have been torn between creating and exploring~

Sharmon Davidson said...

Wow- what a fabulous place! It was apparently a very inspirational experience, judging from your work. Thanks for sharing it!