Saturday, June 14, 2008

Fabulous weekend with Sabrina Ward Harrison









One of my all time favorite artists is Sabrina Ward Harrison, and I just have spent a whole weekend in a workshop with her and a small group of artists. Since I saw her books full of color photos of her journals I knew I had to get to know her and hear and see more. We met at Carol Parks’ place in LA, which was an inspiring place by itself, and we spent 2 wonderful summer days being quiet and listening, looking, walking, taking pictures, thinking, painting and writing. What I took away from this weekend is the ability to “forget” for a moment about all the hustle and bustle of the everyday, and just concentrate on my inner world. Normally I don’t give myself many opportunities to take a break, concentrate on this side of myself and put thoughts and feelings into words on paper. But over these two days that’s just what we all did and it felt very liberating. I hope I’ll be able to continue with this kind of journaling in the future.

4 comments:

frida said...

I envy you. I'm trying to create a visual journey and I feel like there are secrets and techniques that I'll never learn! Like GLUE!

oneartistjournal said...

Dorit, I just discovered you in the book Mixed Media..I absolutely loved your imaginary journal page..continued to 'investigate'..and found your blog with your beautiful life and art in it. We have many similarities. I am so envy of you that you got to do Sabrina's workshop. I live in the LA area and I missed it. Please come visit me on my blog and be my friend. (:

krys kirkpatrick said...

I also am very inspired by sabrina. I have just started keeping a journal..I posted a few pages today. I think I am to neat and tidy....just let go...like when I make a mess in my studio....

Hands to Work, Hearts to God said...

Thanks for posting these wonderful pictures! I am sure it was an amazing experience! I'm from the Philippines and sometimes I give workshops on creative journaling! ME! But it's usually to harried office workers being given time to breathe by their bosses, so it's really like giving participants permission to be kids again.